Saturday, June 20, 2009

ARGUING WITH STUPIDITY

We are living in an age of increasing stupidity. The stupidity that I am referring to is based on ethics. Most people are ethically stupid. The Bible refers to stupidity as foolishness. From this frame of reference, most people are ethically foolish. The worst problem in the world is antinomianism. Antinomianism is anti-ethical. These people are anti-law. They will not follow rules unless they are to their liking or they can gain an advantage from a particular law. Then they are wholly for rules.

It must be hard to live by a double standard. Double standards are characterized by double minds or schizophrenia. Being double minded ensures that a person will be inconsistent in their behavior. These kind of people can be nice one minute and inconsiderate and rude the next. You never know what will set them off. When these double minded people are confronted with their inconsistency, they assume an aura of piety. They will say such things as, I am going to pray for you. Question is, who is going to hear their prayer? God certainly won’t.

James 1:8 reads, "A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways." The word double-minded means two spirited or vacillating in opinion and purpose. Unstable is inconstant i.e., inconsistent. Double mindedness leads in one direction, that of being unstable ethically. James 1:7 says this of the double minded man, "For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord." The double minded can pray but God does not hear nor answer their prayers. Their prayers are therefore, an exercise in futility.

A recent example will suffice in driving home the point of being double minded. I went to Wal-Mart the other day to pick up a few items. I ended up in the express check out which is 20 items or less. This is the rule for express check out. The good lady in front of me (I think she was a Baptist) clearly had more than 20 items. In fact, she had a shopping cart full of items. I kept repeating the rule to her about 20 items. She must have been feeling guilty because she responded back to me. She told me to shut up.

At one point, she became pious and said that she would pray for me. Others in line also commented about her behavior and she responded back to them that basically they should mind their own business. Through the whole ordeal of checking out she had many things to say about me and how I dared to call her to account. People like this lady always try to confuse the issue and make it appear as though you are in the wrong. People like this lady have no conscience. They see everyone else as wrong and them always right. People like her become dictatorial. When she told me to shut up, she was dictating to me what I could and could not do.

The stupidest thing that she called me was immature. For a Baptist, she sure is judgmental. How was I immature? The real child in this situation is her. She purposely refused to follow the rules of the express check out. It is clear that she is the immature one. She is also inconsiderate and rude. Actually, I was walking in love toward her by pointing out her ethical lapse. She had the opportunity to confess her wrong but she like her father Cain refused to humble herself and repent.

Another stupid thing she said to us in line was that the way we treated her was going to come back to us. She is not bright enough to realize that she is going to get into continual arguments with people when she pulls the same stupid stunt again. Fortunately, there is a place for this woman and it is called the lake of fire. This woman is going to experience eternal punishment and she will deserve it for the way that she treated others.

She did not know that she was arguing with a preacher. She would have been shocked. She is used to wimpy Baptist preachers who would never offend an ethical rebel. In fact, most Baptist preachers would have told me I should have minded my own business. This is because they are like this woman in ethical rebellion against God’s law. Occasionally, you have to argue with the ethically stupid. They are not going to change their behavior but at least the law is preached.

No comments: